Family

Family
Photographer: Brandi Thomas

Sunday, April 18, 2010

What's In A Name

I just finished reading Sara's blog (see blog list) and got to thinking about the role names play in our lives. With a name like Hoai-My, I have a unique perspective on this topic. I imagine if I had grew up in Viet Nam, my name would be an non issue. The reality was living in the US with this name has put me in a position to be called Ho-my, Homes, Hoi, Homey, Homini, etc. My sis in law Alayna likes to call me Whyms. I really don't mind, I know to whom they are referring to-though I don't care for being called a HO.

5 comments:

  1. My husband has asked me before how to pronounce your name! I think you have a beautiful name!
    My oldest daughter's name is Cadence, and people call her Candace all the time.... she really hates it! Don't even get me started on my last name! People never say it correct! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. I call you Whymes too. I think of it as being endearing...and I hope you always accept it that way.
    I love all my names too. I'm Rebecca, Becke, Repunzel, Beans, Tugs, Becker Sue, Becks, Joyce, but my most favorite, without a doubt is hearing Jared call me Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you!! Telesia has be butcherd more ways then I ever thought possible.... hence the nickname "Sia" (my mom and sisters still introduce me as "Telesia"-- I like that). I love having a unique name, but you do have to have a little patience. The biggest insult I receved regarding my name was at BYU when the professor, after stumbling through my first name, said "I assume you go by Jeniffer" (my middle name). How rude-- I made him call me Telesia (no "Sia" for him) for the rest of the semester, needless to say he didn't call one me often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, but too bad it's not just growing pains I am referring to. :( Those would be much easier than physical pain sometimes. --Okay KNOCK ON WOOD right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look… I'm a Hatefi... Not only does my last name provoke all kinds of unwanted attention from strangers… But the Hatefi men are brutal and viscous with name play especially when you're one of them. Try being "Raychee-goonie-goo-goo" at high school affairs, having "Raychee" put on all of your dairy uniforms, or being called "Rachel-Dawn-cute as a F.O.N." (F.O.N. stands for freak of nature) in front of every boy you've ever had the stupidity to bring home... That's just a few from my loving dad... There has been Rachie-rache, Fraggle Rock (no idea how they came up with that one), Had-a-fish, Ra-chi-chi... The list goes on... You can't escape torture or butchering even if you think you have normal name. ;) At least you have a beautifully unique name.

    ReplyDelete