Much has happened in a rather short time for us. It began with a phone call from Kel's mission president (Murray) letting us know that Kel had 2 anxiety attacks. He gave us Kel's number and told us to call and talk to him. When he did, Kel spent most of the conversation sobbing, a completely melt down. This made us worry even more. After a few days, President Murray spoke to us again letting us know that the anxiety attacks had not ceased and after having Kel speak with the church psychologist, they were considering sending him home on a "mental medical." He stated that the mission was not equipped with handling this type of situation. A few days after that, Kel came home. He will be required to stay home and obtain treatment for his anxiety attacks for at least 6 months.
I wanted to write to record my feelings while they were still fresh. My reaction after the first notice was worry. Next comes the sadness at the possibility that Kel would come home; the sadness about what people would say and think. We tend to stigmatize our young men if they aren't perfect. After a good night's sleep, a day of fasting and prayer, I woke up happy. Yes, happy. I was happy that life was messy. A messy life makes me dependent upon the habits of scripture study, temple attendance, prayers, service, whereas having a perfect life, I might not be.
I became grateful for the many friends who reached out with desires to help, without judgment. I am profoundly grateful for a bishop who called Kel repeatedly (while on vacation cruising the Virgin Islands, no less), a stake president who was ready to support him and us, whatever the outcome, and a mission president who knew Kel needed help that would require him to return home.
I realized from this whirlwind emotional experience which began 7 days ago that though it would be nice to have a perfect life with perfect children, a messy life helps me, helps us to grow.
Kel is home. We will proceed to get him into a good doctor. He wants to return to his mission. He is worried and scared. In short, he isn't perfect . . . which is fine, since I only know of one person who is.
Thank you for sharing your personal family situation with us. I'm happy that he is going to get the needed help for him to be happy and healthy. I can only image what he, and you, were feeling and going through. And we all know that no matter what we say or don't say, do or don't do, people naturally assume and talk. The great thing is that we grow and learn from the trials we are given. None of us are perfect and we all have our own trials to endure, whether now or in the future. May those around us all keep that in mind before speaking ill or making judgments. And like my dad always said, "If they're so busy worrying about your life they must not have much of their own." Lots of love to you and yours!
ReplyDeleteKel is lucky to have such a great, supportive family. You are right about needing a "messy" life to remember that we do need His support. Big hugs!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear that Kel and you all are having this pain, but as a mom and a retired therapist, I want to let you know that anxiety attacks are fairly easy to treat and with good medical care, a good psychotherapist, and some time he should be good as new and on his way again. Sending healing hugs to you all!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully shared. I'm so glad that you received peace through your prayer and fasting. Corey was worried about Kel and said to tell him he loves him!
ReplyDeleteSuch a trial for everyone involved...but all those coming out on the other side will be blessed and strengthened for it. Kel is wonderful and amazing! I will pray for a healthy recovery and whether or not he returns will never change my feelings of the Winders!
ReplyDeleteAll I have to say is ditto! Messiness stinks but I am sooo thankful for it! I'm also grateful for a church that takes such good care of us (and Kel), what great resources!
ReplyDeleteWe love you guys!
Thanks for sharing this story w/ us. I just know you will get through this trial. And like Stephanie said.. whether or not he returns will never change my feelings of the Winders!
ReplyDeleteThat is a sure thing! We love you guys, and will keep your family in our prayers!
Well said Hoai My. Love and prayers from us as well! Love Ya!
ReplyDeleteWe love you and your family!
ReplyDeleteHeavenly Father hears all prayers and he always answers. There are only three answers he gives; yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. He's perfect so we don't have to be. :) I'm proud of and love your family very much. You guys are always in my prayers! <3
ReplyDelete