Family

Family
Photographer: Brandi Thomas

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Working Mom vs. At Home Moms

I don't know why but most of my adult life, I have witnessed this subtle war between moms who stay at home and moms who work. I, myself, never understood why women would choose to criticize each other for their choices. Aren't we busy enough with what we have to do? How did women find time to know what other women were doing, and then find more time to have an opinion and be critical of them.

I know this:
1. Motherhood is tough for both working moms and at home moms.
2. Life is tough-why aren't we supporting each other?

As an at home mom, I never once had a negative opinion of another mother because she choose to work. I was often irritated by those who would express disapproval of working mothers just as I was irritated by working mothers who looked down upon mothers who stayed home. I usually wished people would just leave other people's choices alone.

I will never understand why one woman would belittle another woman's choice. I know that I've been on both sides. It was hurtful when my friends who worked would criticize me for giving it all up and staying home. When I returned to work, my at home friends criticize me for selling out and going back to work. No winning.

So for you who find yourself looking negatively at another-get busy improving your life! And the golden rule still applies-if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I don't criticize at home moms, I wish I was one! However, being a working mom, I feel like I am thought of in a negative way by others. I give my children the best of me and hope they love me for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, great post. :) And you're welcome to come to the Campbells for Thanksgiving in 2011...that will be the next year we go up for the feast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, women are each other's worst enemy. I wish we could be kinder to each other and there's really no reason we can't; however, there are too many who find that they've been given the power to judge. Until we can see ourselves as equals, we're all here for the same reason, this problem will continue to occur.

    ReplyDelete