Family

Family
Photographer: Brandi Thomas

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Our First Christmas

Every couple has a story, but this one is ours. Greg and I were married on November 1, 1986 just shortly after Christmas. We were both in school, working, and very poor. We lived in an apartment in North Las Vegas nicknamed "Mormon Manor." I have no recollection of what I bought him that first Christmas together. However, what he bought me sits in our bedroom reminding me that he spent every dime he made buying it for me - a cedar hope chest.

I had never had a hope chest before. In it I stored baby clothes I bought while pregnant, carvings of Eagles I bought to give to my sons, my grandmothers things after she died, and a variety of things that are only special to me. It's not in the best of shape, having traveled 7 moves with us into our current home. I suppose one day, Greg may have to refurnish it. As for me, I love the scratches and imperfections on the wood, all earned and all reflective of our imperfect yet unbreakable life together.

1 comment:

  1. What a very special gift! I have always wanted a hope chest! I need to my 3 girls one also!

    ReplyDelete