Family

Family
Photographer: Brandi Thomas

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Influences of Cheryl

It has come to my attention that my posts hold are somewhat impersonal, more like a calendar of our lives.. so here's my attempt at emotions...

When my sons were little, they had this uncanny ability to wake up every day before 7am. I used to dream of days when they wer older and I could sleep in. At the time, I had become friends with Cheryl Viet Barney who had kids that were about 4 years older. She stayed up late to wait for them to come home from dates, and got up early to make their breakfast before the left for seminary and school. I never forgot how she laughed when I shared that wishful thinking.. because she knew....

I always admired her for her tenacity, and I liked how she got up early to make sure her own kids always had a good breakfast. Little did I know, in her own ways, she was rubbing this motherly value to me that never left.

It is 4:55 am, and I have been up for an hour. I get up that early because Kel, in his new job, leaves for work at 4:15am. I wake up to make him breakfast and see him before he leaves. Once up, I make breakfast and lunches for the rest of us. (Take it easy, breakfast can sometimes mean toaster strudels, today, I made chocolate chip cookies... I have my weaknesses) Then, at 5:15am, I check to see if Jesse is up (he always is), and then wake Luke for seminary. Jesse leaves for work at 5:30 am, Luke for seminary at 5:50 am.

After Luke eats breakfast, I can quickly sneak in 40 minutes of yoga, shower, eat, and get ready for work. (By now, Greg is up to take Luke to seminary and Michael is waking up too)

You see, Cheryl knew that my sleeping in days were over. Cheryl and I have been friends for about 20 years. I admire and love her, as well as her husband Brent, her mother (Penny Wray), her sister & crew (the Workmans), her own kids (Cecils, Johnsons, Rachel, Merrick) and grandkids. I thought of her this morning while making cookies. I remember her making these delicious turnovers with phyllo dough for her kids in the morning.

So this morning, I am grateful for Cheryl and the influence she's been in my life. She taught me to be self-reliant, learn new things, study, endure trials with a smile (even if that smile hurt), to never give up on your kids, and finally, no matter what mistakes you make as a mother, at least no one can say your kids left the house hungry in the morning.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry lady! If you only knew how much I needed to read this. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of waking up in the 4:00 hour makes me cringe. I can barely pull myself out of bed at 6 a.m. I'm glad seminary is still 9 years away...I need more time to "sleep in!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I was feeling your pain this morning as my Lexi is already having to get up no later than 6:40 to ride the bus! I love Cheryl too and have so much respect for her and of course the entire family!! Love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmm, I was just complaining to my husband about how I wished my boys would sleep in a little......

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice post! In high school, I pretty much lived at Sheral's house with Caitlyn, and without a doubt, she always waited up at night for us to go to bed and she always made us breakfast in the morning. I just love that family :) And you know I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I was thinking.. maybe we should all tell Cheryl we love her instead of each other... I'm going to call her tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, these empty-nest days are fabulous! But . . . I could sleep in if my body wasn't used to waking up so darn early for YEARS. My goal one day is to be slothful and lazy. (ha ha)

    ReplyDelete