Family

Family
Photographer: Brandi Thomas

Friday, November 23, 2012

My "Say Anything" Moment

I love this scene in the movie "Say Anything." I had this moment during my courtship with Greg. We had been dating about 2 weeks when I returned home for the summer from BYU after my sophomore year. Greg found out that I had a "serious" college boyfriend. He threw a fit, we had a fight, and I thought that was the end of us. (In all sincerity, there wasn't much "us" on my part since I had only gone out with him about 5 times during that 2 week period.)

The next night when I came home from a long day of work and night out with some friends, my mom told me that Greg had been calling repeatedly. When he called again, he asked if he could come over and talk to me. I told him not to since there was really no point in it. Like he found out, I had a serious BYU guy I was returning to after the summer. Next thing I knew, he was at my door. Since I was pretty irritated that he came over when I asked him not to, I opened the front door and made him talk to me through the screen door.

 He apologized for the way he acted the night before. What he proceeded to say is still a fresh memory after all these years.

"I don't care that you have a college boyfriend. He's not here and I am. If all I can be is the guy you date during the summer, then I'll take it, because it's better than nothing. I do need you to know that I know you're the one for me. I know we are going to end up together. As soon as you figure that out, let me know so we can get on with our lives together."

Pretty bold for a guy that I barely knew.
He proposed 4 weeks after that.
We got married 4 months later.
And this year, we celebrated 26 years.

1 comment:

  1. Dang good thing you finally came around and saw the LIGHT. :)

    ReplyDelete