Family
Photographer: Brandi Thomas
Saturday, May 12, 2012
If it makes you happy....
Cheryl Crow said it best when she sang, "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad." Lots of things make me happy; Greg and the boys, my students, my ward family, my friends, etc. Another thing that makes me happy is exercise, plenty of it. I am sure that once retired, I will be happily found at the gym for hours. Among the exercises which make me happy, running is certainly at the top of the list. Perhaps this is why it is no surprise that at the age of 46, I finally gave in to years of lingering foot pain and had both feet operated it on. The next 3 weeks will find me in a wheelchair and or walking on tippie toes to avoid putting full weight on stitches. When I told a person who randomly comes into my life why I had surgery, she asked me if I had considered not running. I asked her to tell me what she does that makes her happy. She replied with her list; sewing, cooking, family, etc, etc. I hope she understood that if I don't judge the things that make her happy, it was really pointless of her to be so judgmental about things -particularly running- that makes me happy. Perhaps she never really understood me at all.
So here's to the things that makes us happy and a patient sigh to those who don't get us. My stitched feet will run again and it will be painful. I'm glad I married a man that is patiently waiting to help me get back to running. He may not be perfect but he is absolutely accomplished at the art of understanding me. After all, we are both signed up for a half marathon in November.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment