Family

Family
Photographer: Brandi Thomas

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Yup-44!

I am 44. I suppose I am to say that I am so much the wiser for being this age. Nevertheless, I feel like I have so much to learn. Here's what I know so far:

1) Be nice. No one remembers anything you stood for or what you believe in. All they remember is whether you were nice or mean to them. I am sorry for being mean to so many people.

2) Parenthood is hard. If you don't believe me, ask Adam and Eve.

3) Parenthood is the greatest job on Earth. I know I contradicted my previous statement. It's a ying/yang thing.

4) Don't say that you "love" your job. You don't. You enjoy your job. You love your family and some friends. (Lesson learned from Bishop Prince) In this same respect, don't think at your job, you are irreplaceable. You are only irreplaceable to your family and a couple of friends, not for those you work for.

5) Have some diversity in your life. Know people from different places and cultures. Don't trap yourself in a bubble.

6) Don't put an age limit on friendships. I have learned much from those older than me and likewise from those younger than me.

7) Expensive shampoos are only worth the extra money if they make your scalp tingle.

8) Don't shave your arms. It grows back darker and thicker.

9) Don't eat ice cream every day for a week if you're lactose intolerant. Your stomach will swell and make you look 6 months pregnant.

10) If you want people to like you, tell them how great their kids are. If you do it often enough, you actually start to believe it. There are worse things in life than to think highly of the youth.

5 comments:

  1. happy birthday! and, i love your #10 - so wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! You don't look a day over 25!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly Women you can not be 44! I don't think 44 is old, but you look maybe 30, but since you have a son on a mission and one older than that, you would have had to start pretty young :) Happy Birthday! I miss you, Yoga, laughing, talking!! I love all the things you have learned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well may I just say that 44 looks good on ya! You REALLY don't even look like you're in your 40s!!! Thanks for sharing your list, it was so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much agree with everything you just said. You crack me up! Wish you lived closer so we could go running..or that you worked at a school closer so I could come hang out with you when I sub! (I'm starting to sub again.. :)) Hope you had a good birthday! Love you Hoai My!

    ReplyDelete