This week Greg and I began meeting with our running team to practice. I injured my foot June 8th and this was my first week running since then. I love running. I love the rhythm of my breathing, the pattern of my stride, the freedom, and the huge feeling of accomplishment when I finish each run. One student at the end of practice said, "Running is so boring."To her I replied, "If you are bored, go faster."
I wish that I could take credit for that statement. I heard it the first time I was at the CSN track jogging with Greg after Kel was born. I was slowly bouncing along and noticed a man who was running sprints on the inside tracks. After I finished, he did too. We struck up a conversation about Jesse who had been riding his tricycle on the sidelines while I ran. I told him I thought running was boring to which he gave the same reply. I followed with, "I can't run fast." His reply, "How do you know? Have you tried often enough?"
Isn't funny that so many of your memories are erased, yet we remember moments that helped changed us. I thought about what he said for days after and even at times years later. I began to push myself harder always striving to do my best. I still don't think I run fast, but I know I run faster than I used to, and faster than other women my age.
I use his statement for other things that have come up in my life. When Greg and friend Aida Brown told me I should pursue a Masters. My immediately reply was, "I can't get a Masters" to which later I would think, "How do you know? Have you tried often enough?" I thought that again when I pursued and obtained a second Masters degree. (Yes, thoughts of a Doctorate still float through my head. Stay tuned.)
When I was called to be Primary President, Nursery Leader, Camp Director, Compassionate Service Leader, etc. I thought the same, and rebuked myself the same.
I wonder if this man who I knew for 5 minutes realizes how important his words were to me as the years have proven.
What a wonderful story. It is amazing how only a few words can change your life!
ReplyDeleteYou have done so many wonderful things! reading your entry reminded me why you are such good friends with my mother :).
ReplyDeleteMelissa
Thanks Hoai-My! Awesome words to live by :)
ReplyDeleteLove this and thanks so much for sharing that! I needed to hear that!! :)
ReplyDelete